Man City dispatch Newcastle to reach FA Cup semis

Manchester City cruised into the FA Cup semi-finals with a comfortable victory over a jaded and disappointing Newcastle United at Etihad Stadium.

Pep Guardiola’s side remain in contention to repeat last season’s historic Treble of Champions League, Premier League and FA Cup, and were barely troubled on a rain-lashed night in Manchester.

They are the first side in FA Cup history to reach six successive FA Cup semi-finals, and have reached the last four in seven of Guardiola’s eight campaigns in charge.

City were in control with a two-goal lead by the break on Saturday, and although both goals had an element of good fortune, they reflected a half in which the holders were dominant with 75% possession.

First, Bernardo Silva’s shot was deflected up and over Newcastle keeper Martin Dubravka by Dan Burn’s outstretched leg after 13 minutes, then the Portuguese’s effort went in via the head of defender Sven Botman just after the half hour.

Newcastle’s best chance came when Alexander Isak’s first-half shot was saved by keeper Stefan Ortega.

But it was an otherwise stress-free night for City as they head to Wembley once more, while Eddie Howe must now try to ensure what has been a season of under-achievement does not fizzle out into a timid conclusion.

Easy night for Man City

Pep Guardiola’s desire to win another FA Cup was illustrated by the strength of his starting line-up. They delivered the desired outcome, and City can now contemplate another Wembley semi-final after a night when their main discomfort was the horrendous weather, with the match being played out in a torrential downpour.

City were not at their sparkling best in difficult conditions – but they did not need to be, or indeed have to be anywhere near top gear to dispose of Newcastle. They simply never needed to extend themselves in the face of Newcastle’s timid challenge.

Bernardo Silva was City’s match-winner, although he was strongly assisted by those two crucial deflections to effectively put the game to bed by half-time.

City could have extended their advantage while playing well within themselves, with Jeremy Doku having a shot saved by Dubravka. The prolific Erling Haaland had a rare night when the ball did not run for him, although his tireless efforts earned him a standing ovation when he was substituted late on.

The post Man City dispatch Newcastle to reach FA Cup semis appeared first on

Leave a Reply