Kingston, Jamaica – A Barbadian national, who is accused of attempting to smuggle about J$16-million (One Jamaica dollar=US$0.008 cents) worth of cocaine to London, will return to court on Friday after he was remanded into custody.
The defendant, Kelvin Charles, appeared in the St James Parish Court on charges of possession of, dealing in, attempting to export and conspiracy to export cocaine.
The court was told that on October 26, Charles was about to board a flight from the Sangster International Airport in St James to London when his luggage was searched. During the inspection, a package with two kilogrammes of cocaine was found.
He was subsequently arrested and charged for breaches of the Dangerous Drugs Act.
During his court appearance on Monday, the court heard that the forensic certificate and the corroborating officer’s statement were still outstanding.
Attorney Dalton Reid informed the court that he had been approached to represent Charles, but there are still some details to be sorted out. He has since requested that the case be rescheduled for November 10 indicating that he would then be able to advise the court at that time.
Reid said he also intends to apply for bail for the Barbadian national. (CMC)