Concacaf, FIFA’s regional governing body, is set to pump BDS$380 000 into the Barbados Defence Force Sports Programme’s (BDFSP) football team.
This funding gives a lifeline to the programme, which appeared to be in limbo last month.
The news was revealed yesterday by president of the Barbados Football Association (BFA), Randy Harris, during a telephone interview.
Harris, who is also the vice-president of Concacaf, said he wrote to the association seeking help for the island’s top club to stay active.
“I have applied to Concacaf for assistance in that and they have agreed that they will fund it. Concacaf has committed to helping the programme once everything is in order and it can continue. The BDFSP usually supplies between seven and nine players to the national team, fully fit, well-disciplined and committed. I do think that at this stage, it would be a severe blow to football in Barbados,” Harris told Saturday Sport. (AGB)
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.