All systems are go at Portvale Sugar Factory after a two-week shutdown.
Minister of Agriculture Indar Weir said yesterday that grinding had resumed Sunday evening and despite the hiccups, this year’s sugar harvest was much further along compared to the same period last year.
No canes had been cut and delivered to Portvale since April 2, resulting in more than 3 000 tonnes of cane lying in the factory yard.
Last week, a rupture of the No. 2 boiler in the fireside of the combustion chamber caused water leakages in the furnace, which led to the boiler shutting down and a halt to operations.
Speaking during a press conference at the Blowers, St James factory yesterday morning, Weir said the kinks had been ironed out.
He was accompanied by chief executive officer of the Barbados Agricultural Management Company (BAMC) Orlanda Atherley, its chairman Ambassador Dr Clyde Mascoll, factory operations manager at Portvale Marlon Munroe and chairman of the Barbados Sugar Industry Ltd, Mark Sealy. (SB)
Subscribe now to our eNATION edition for the full story.